Noobs Guide ?

Setup and Modification Tutorials and guides
storm383
Reactions:

Noobs Guide ?

Post by storm383 » Sat Apr 01, 2017 3:55 pm

Hi all, I love the Hyperpie theme :) But could do with a complete start to Finish Noobs guide on how to setup using a MicroSD for the system files and an external USB drive to host Rom sets?

Cheers in advance ,
stOrm383 ;)

rmilyard
Reactions:

Re: Noobs Guide ?

Post by rmilyard » Sat Apr 01, 2017 5:17 pm

Would be nice to have something. Seems like a few like me are starting with no much knowledge of how to setup Arcade on the pi.

storm383
Reactions:

Post by storm383 » Sun Apr 02, 2017 5:36 pm

so far I have managed to install the Hyper image onto a 128gb SD card and update to version 1.1 , setup a power on/off push button and a 2tb WD External(external powered) HDD :-) . I have copied a Bios pack into the Bios folder but could do with finding out how to place the actual roms/rom packs now.? The External HDD only has about 6 systems in its piroms folder - nothing relating to N64,Snes, Megadrive etc ? and advice would be really appreciated

Cheers,
stOrm383

ngok31
Reactions:

Post by ngok31 » Mon Apr 03, 2017 7:27 pm

Hi, I have done the same as you but with a 128 Gb usb key formatted in NTFS with piroms directory on it..Enable extend disk in Emulation station and got all the folders ont the usb key..
Maybe you can retry in Emulation Station ?

storm383
Reactions:

Post by storm383 » Wed Apr 05, 2017 8:21 pm

Cheers ngok31 :-)

I have just placed the roms ( rom packs from Arcade punks) onto the SD card - the external drive was a little hit n miss :-(
Noticed that there appears to a few rom which fail to run - looks like going through each system and each rom to check which works and which doesn't doh!
Also struggling on how to configure my controller inputs on The Snes, Megadrive etc? I know mame uses the tab key to enter config settings - but I'm not sure about the other emulators :-/

stOrm383

ngok31
Reactions:

Post by ngok31 » Thu Apr 06, 2017 7:31 am

For Snes and Megadrive the meulator is not Mame but Retroarch. I think..For configuring retroarch you can do it in the configuration editor in the retropie system

storm383
Reactions:

Post by storm383 » Tue Apr 11, 2017 8:03 am

Cheers ngok31

Abujamal89
Reactions:

Post by Abujamal89 » Tue Jun 06, 2017 2:34 pm

Noob here,
Im actually trying to get started, All I've done so far is Ive ordered a Raspberry Pi 3 and I'm trying to figure out what next. If at all possible step by step on what Im supposed to do next? lol kinda lost.

russ71
Reactions:

Post by russ71 » Fri Jun 09, 2017 5:06 pm

Not an extensive tutorial, but it looks rather straight forward:

HyperPie – Easy Setup Guide – Turn Your Raspberry PI into a HyperSpin Style Retro Gaming System
https://gameroomsolutions.com/hyperpie-setup/

Of course, you'll skip the part with setting up and installing the joystick and buttons UNLESS you have bought the joystick and buttons from them.

NbAlIvEr100
Reactions:

Post by NbAlIvEr100 » Thu Jun 15, 2017 5:01 pm

russ71 wrote:
Fri Jun 09, 2017 5:06 pm
Not an extensive tutorial, but it looks rather straight forward:

HyperPie – Easy Setup Guide – Turn Your Raspberry PI into a HyperSpin Style Retro Gaming System
https://gameroomsolutions.com/hyperpie-setup/

Of course, you'll skip the part with setting up and installing the joystick and buttons UNLESS you have bought the joystick and buttons from them.
I actually used his site for my build. Here is a link to my build:

http://imgur.com/a/pGwIs

I can answer any questions anyone has on these builds or HyperPie in general. Not sure what problems people are having here as no one has asked any specific questions about what problems they are having. Setting up HyperPie is pretty straightforward and not that hard to do. All you need is a Pi of course (preferablly a Pi 3 Ver.B, a UltraSD card- I would get the 128gb one just to be safe, a PC with FileZilla) and just flash the HyperPie V1.0 image to the SD card and then boot it up and enable SSH in the configurations and either setup your Wi-Fi to it or connect it to the Ethernet cable and then transfer the V1.1 to the folders in the order they say. Then download any of the pre-configured ROMsets for HyperPie/MotionBlue and transfer those over as well via FTP. It's not very hard.

NOTE: If you are doing a 6-button arcade setup like I did here; these will almost always consist of a USB encoder to enable keystrokes to the buttons. Emulation Station and HyperPie in general will always default controls for MAME once you setup your controls in Emulation Station-- thus, they will be defaulted in Retroarch in an unusual configuration that can confuse a lot of people. Below is the setup you should use when setting up an arcade stick so that all the controls work the way they are intended for 6-button arcade setups (i.e. they work properly for games like Street Fighter II where the top 3 buttons are LP-MP-HP and the bottom are LK-MK-HK).

http://i.imgur.com/tgSGFWN.jpg

Other games like Mortal Kombat will not work with this setup, because it uses different inputs that are out of order. You should still use this setup though as it works with basically 95% of all the other MAME games. This is why it is REQUIRED that you have a keyboard in you Pi so that you can alter controls within games....in MAME just press TAB to change the controls for "each game" that requires different inputs.