Setup and Modification Tutorials and guides
NbAlIvEr100
Reactions:

Re: Noobs Guide ?

Post by NbAlIvEr100 » Thu Jun 15, 2017 5:01 pm

russ71 wrote:
Fri Jun 09, 2017 5:06 pm
Not an extensive tutorial, but it looks rather straight forward:

HyperPie – Easy Setup Guide – Turn Your Raspberry PI into a HyperSpin Style Retro Gaming System
https://gameroomsolutions.com/hyperpie-setup/

Of course, you'll skip the part with setting up and installing the joystick and buttons UNLESS you have bought the joystick and buttons from them.
I actually used his site for my build. Here is a link to my build:

http://imgur.com/a/pGwIs

I can answer any questions anyone has on these builds or HyperPie in general. Not sure what problems people are having here as no one has asked any specific questions about what problems they are having. Setting up HyperPie is pretty straightforward and not that hard to do. All you need is a Pi of course (preferablly a Pi 3 Ver.B, a UltraSD card- I would get the 128gb one just to be safe, a PC with FileZilla) and just flash the HyperPie V1.0 image to the SD card and then boot it up and enable SSH in the configurations and either setup your Wi-Fi to it or connect it to the Ethernet cable and then transfer the V1.1 to the folders in the order they say. Then download any of the pre-configured ROMsets for HyperPie/MotionBlue and transfer those over as well via FTP. It's not very hard.

NOTE: If you are doing a 6-button arcade setup like I did here; these will almost always consist of a USB encoder to enable keystrokes to the buttons. Emulation Station and HyperPie in general will always default controls for MAME once you setup your controls in Emulation Station-- thus, they will be defaulted in Retroarch in an unusual configuration that can confuse a lot of people. Below is the setup you should use when setting up an arcade stick so that all the controls work the way they are intended for 6-button arcade setups (i.e. they work properly for games like Street Fighter II where the top 3 buttons are LP-MP-HP and the bottom are LK-MK-HK).

http://i.imgur.com/tgSGFWN.jpg

Other games like Mortal Kombat will not work with this setup, because it uses different inputs that are out of order. You should still use this setup though as it works with basically 95% of all the other MAME games. This is why it is REQUIRED that you have a keyboard in you Pi so that you can alter controls within games....in MAME just press TAB to change the controls for "each game" that requires different inputs.

The7thLevel
Reactions:

Post by The7thLevel » Mon Jul 10, 2017 12:13 am

I actually went a different route and I bought a pre-built Pi called the EMU from a company called Gamerz Tek. It has Hyperpie installed on it. Noroms or emus, just the front end. I hooked it up to my router, and when I go to my network settings in Windows 10, its right there, and I can open it up, see the file structure, and copy files to it fro my C drive.

The weird thing is, the file structure doesnt match whats set in the emulators settings in Hyperpie. For instance, in hyperpie the location of of NES roms is set as home/pi/retropie/roms/nes or something like that.

But when I look at the file structure of the EMU, there's just 4 folders: bios, config, roms, and screens. So I tried changing the rom location for nes to /roms/nes. I then tried to update the romlist. It couldn't find that folder. so since the device comes up in windows as EMU, I tried emu/roms/nes. Couldn't find it. Tried \\emu\roms\nes. Couldn't fnd it. And the same thing with the emulator itself. I put it in the same folder as the roms for the nes, but hyperpie cannot find that folder.

Help?

Korkapotomis
Reactions:

Post by Korkapotomis » Sun Jul 30, 2017 1:42 pm

I'm looking into a guide sorry no-one got back to you guys. How are you making out with your setups ?

Korkapotomis
Reactions:

Post by Korkapotomis » Sun Jul 30, 2017 1:44 pm

Also we advise people not to buy pre built setups since we cannot help with them because we do not know what changes have been made . Everything is here for free

SteveDQ
Reactions:

Post by SteveDQ » Sat Aug 12, 2017 3:30 am

Hey NbAlIvEr100!
Great looking cabinet.
Do you mind telling me how you configured the front 4 admin buttons?
I am at the end of my build, tweaking a lot of settings and have re-installed 4 times already when I screw things up.
I have the same button config as you do, but with the coin (Select) and start on the control panel above the fight buttons, and just the 4 admin buttons on the front.
I have 2 wired to the left encoder and 2 to the right encoder.
-Thanks

shredhead1260
Reactions:

Post by shredhead1260 » Mon Jul 23, 2018 11:36 pm

So I have downloaded the Hyperpie image and got it to work, but I thought I would check out some other people's pre-made images too in order to decide how I want to build my system. This also gives me a "superset" of themes, roms, etc. to pick from - I don't want to have 25,000 rom's available, I maybe want 5-6 systems and the bulk of it all is MAME.

The pre-made image I am working with now does not have Hyperpie or Attract Mode. My question is, can I ADD these to someone else's Emulationstation/Retropie setup. If so, how? I can SCP files to wherever, I just need to know WHERE, and then what to do to tie it together.

Is this even worth doing? (too difficult?)